5 peppers, red, orange or yellow
1 medium zucchini or other squash
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, diced
½ cup onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
¼ cup brandy
½ cup Ricotta cheese
¼ cup crumbled Feta cheese
2 cups marinara sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 F°.
2. Cut peppers in half and remove ribs and seeds.
Place cut side up in shallow microwave safe bowl or dish. Add ⅓ cup water to bowl. Sprinkle peppers with kosher salt and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. Heat large skillet over medium heat and melt butter and olive oil. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add squash, thyme leaves and kosher salt and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add brandy.
Return to heat and cook for 4-5 more minutes until brandy has cooked down and squash has softened and is easily pierced with a fork. Keep warm and add Ricotta and Feta cheese. Taste and season with more salt if desired.
4. Pour marinara sauce in bottom of 9 x 12 inch baking dish. Place peppers cut side up and spoon ½ to ¾ cup of squash mixture into each pepper, creating a nest for the egg.
5. Bake peppers and squash mixture for 10 minutes or until warmed through. Remove from oven.
6. Carefully break egg into each pepper taking care not to overflow.
Season with freshly ground black pepper and bake peppers for 10-12 minutes or until whites of eggs are set.
Serve each pepper with marinara sauce and extra feta cheese if desired.